1 onion, chopped
2 1/2 to 3 cups water, white wine or vegetable broth, divided use
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon miso paste
2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
Note: Low-sodium tamari or Braggs Liquid Aminos can be substituted for miso paste. Vegetable broth can be used in place of water for more flavor.
1. Cook onion on medium heat in a heavy pan in a small amount of water, wine or broth, adding more liquid as necessary. Allow the onion to brown slightly, then scrape the pan, add a little more liquid and let them continue to brown, watching carefully so onions don’t burn.
2. Add garlic, sliced mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms are soft. Add vegetable broth, wine or water as necessary to keep them from burning.
3. Add 1 cup of liquid, stir and continue cooking.
4. Mix miso paste and flour in remaining cup of liquid, stir, then add to the mushrooms and stir again.
5. Continue cooking until the gravy thickens. Add pepper to taste. Put on low and keep warm until serving.
For thicker gravy add more flour mixed with a little broth or water.