This Month's MagazineDining and SpiritsArts and EntertainmentTravel and LeisureHome and Real EstateHealth and WellnessShopping & FashionEvents and PicsElegant Wedding Magazine

Bookmark and share

Issue Date: February 2011


1932


Erick Trickey
trickey@clevelandmagazine.com

“Heroic pieces of sculpture,” The Plain Dealer called the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge’s 43-foot-tall sandstone figures when this photo was originally published in July 1932, five months before the bridge opened. “Guardians of Traffic,” their engineer, Wilbur Watson, called them, as if comparing them to the winged guardian statues in Assyrian palaces, believed to magically protect those who passed between them.

The Associated Press wire carried this photograph again in March 1976, when the statues’ fate was endangered. Imperious county engineer Albert S. Porter wanted to raze them to widen the bridge. “Those columns are monstrosities and should be torn down and forgotten,” Porter declared. “We’re not running a May Show here. Naming those gargoyles historic objects simply introduces a lot of red tape.”

A state board of historic sites disagreed, deciding the statues were “an extremely important and rare example of modernist or art deco style.” By the end of 1976, the bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places, guaranteeing the figures’ protection. Porter, meanwhile, lost the November election and was indicted on 102 charges of theft in office — proving that it is unwise to threaten the Guardians.


Comments. All comments must be approved by our editorial staff.
 
Choose an identity
Other Anonymous
 
Name 
Website 
All of these fields are optional.
CAPTCHA Validation
Retype the code from the picture
CAPTCHA Code Image
Speak the code Change the code
 


Home | Subscribe | Archives | Advertise | Newsstands | Contact Us | Jobs | Legal
© Cleveland Magazine 2014 | P: (216) 771-2833 | F: (216) 781-6318 | 1422 Euclid Ave. Suite 730 Cleveland, Ohio 44115
This site is a member of the City & Regional Magazine Association