This Month's MagazineDining and SpiritsArts and EntertainmentTravel and LeisureHome and Real EstateHealth and WellnessShopping & FashionEvents and PicsElegant Wedding Magazine

Bookmark and share

Issue Date: May 2007 Issue


If You Can't Stand the Heat...


Tori Woods
Life in a restaurant kitchen is not for the faint of heart. Local chefs were eager to regale us with tales of their war wounds — and most could immediately recall their worst injury. From burning and cutting to repetitive stress, we feel even more grateful to those who feed us

“I flipped [a piece of tuna] too soon and it splattered into the oil and I burned my retina. It actually splashed straight into my eye. I had to wear an eye patch, I couldn’t see for a couple of days.” - Rachel Spieth, Three Birds

“I cut the top of my thumb in half on Valentine’s Day 1998 at Johnny’s. ... They put it all back together. I didn’t think they were going to be able to save it, but modern medicine did wonders.” - Jeff Fisher, Lago

“I just had carpal tunnel surgery, and this has really been the worst thing that’s ever happened to me as far as the kitchen is concerned. Although, I did burn myself very badly one time when I spilled a pot of boiling pasta water down the front of me. I tripped on a mat, and it fell back on me. I persisted on cooking through the entire night over the heat, which just aggravated the burns all the more. By the next day I was in complete shock with third-degree burns all over my chest.” - Karen Small, Flying Fig

“I was cutting a cheesecake with a slicing knife, and every time you cut it, you had to clean it off. I hooked my finger on the blade, pulled it all the way across my finger. I had to have like six stitches in my forefinger, and I came back to work like a true champ.” - Jill Vedaa, Saucy Bistro

“When I was living in Portland, Ore., I was braising artichokes in olive oil, and the kitchen was very small, and I took the pan of olive-oil braised artichokes out of the oven and was walking to the cooler, and someone opened the cooler door, and the artichokes went down my legs. I got third-degree burns and had to go to the hospital. I was out of work for two weeks.” - Doug Katz, Fire Food & Drink


Comments. All comments must be approved by our editorial staff.
 
Choose an identity
Other Anonymous
 
Name 
Website 
All of these fields are optional.
CAPTCHA Validation
Retype the code from the picture
CAPTCHA Code Image
Speak the code Change the code
 


Home | Subscribe | Archives | Advertise | Newsstands | Contact Us | Jobs | Legal
© Cleveland Magazine 2014 | P: (216) 771-2833 | F: (216) 781-6318 | 1422 Euclid Ave. Suite 730 Cleveland, Ohio 44115
This site is a member of the City & Regional Magazine Association