Where to Buy: Little Italy Your guide to Greater Cleveland’s art districts and more than 75 galleries. When canvassing for art, knowing where to go is half the challenge. To aid in your quest, we visited galleries, talked to collectors, gallery owners and artists, and compiled listings of Greater Cleveland’s best galleries with an emphasis on fine art. W Emily Rueb
Click the "Download Now" button at the end of this article to view an interactive map of the Little Italy galleries.
1. Bockrath Gallery Murray Hill School House 2026 Murray Hill Road (216) 721-5990 Wed-Sat noon - 5 p.m., Sun 1 - 5 p.m. www.bockrathgallery.com Lissa Bockrath shows aesthetically pleasing and conceptually powerful art, mostly two-dimensional works, by local artists. Her well-laid-out, sleek and modern gallery hosts six to eight shows a year.
2. Brian Jones FESTIVO Gallery 2021 Murray Hill Road (216) 229-5110 email@example.com Fri 6 - 10 p.m., Sat noon - 10:30 p.m. www.brianjonesart.com The artist, who formerly showed at Cultura, has a newly opened space just down the road. His spiritual and meditative works capture his early morning thoughts.
3. Dick Kleinman Fine Art 12210 Mayfield Road (216) 421-8484 Tue-Sat noon - 6 p.m., Fri and Sat 8 - 10 p.m., Sun 2 - 5 p.m. www.dkfineart.com Whimsical 3D pop fantasyland. The collection abounds with the likes of Dr. Seuss, Charles Fazzino, Jim Buckels, Tony Bennett and Michelle Delacroix.
4. E. Gordon Gallery Murray Hill School House 2026 Murray Hill Road (216) 795-0971 Tue-Thu 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., Fri and Sat 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. Elizabeth Gordon represents emerging Cleveland contemporary artists. Her first show opened in August. Expect good things to come.
5. Scaravilli Design & Studio Gallery 12414 Mayfield Road (216) 791-9919 www.scaravillidesign.com Tue-Sat noon - 7 p.m. Contemporary art gallery and digital design studio with a living-room feel. Original works from about 20 artists with an emphasis on Anthony Scaravilli's photography.
6. Sofia Art & Photography 11917 Mayfield Road (216) 721-1507 Thu-Sat 11 a.m. - 7 p.m., Sun noon - 5 p.m. www.sofiaphotography.com Raw, no-frills, come-as-you-are space for edgy local artists. Bimonthly local shows by artists such as oil painter Gerrie Gerrard. Sofia also displays her own photos. Hipsters call it "The Boot."
7. The Turkaly Art Gallery Murray Hill School House 2026 Murray Hill Road (216) 721-1233 firstname.lastname@example.org Tue-Sat 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. www.turkalyart.com Fine contemporary sculpture and paintings by nationally and internationally known artists. Tom Turkaly also displays his father Joseph’s sculptures and his brother Peter’s oils.
8. Thomas R. Riley Galleries Murray Hill School House 2026 Murray Hill Road (216) 421-1445 Tue-Sat 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. www.rileygalleries.com One of the few places in town where you can buy works by artists who are also showing in the most prestigious museums, such as Dale Chihuly and Dante Marioni. Prices from $40 to $85,000. Eight shows per year kick off with a meet-the-artist lecture and Q&A.
9. Verne Collection of Japanese Art 2207 Murray Hill Road (216) 231-8866 Tue-Sat 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. www.vernegallery.com Established in 1953, the gallery specializes in "quiet elegance" by antique and contemporary Japanese printmakers and painters, as well as prints and paintings by American artists who are living in Japan or have studied there.