This Month's MagazineDining and SpiritsArts and EntertainmentTravel and LeisureHome and Real EstateHealth and WellnessShopping & FashionEvents and PicsElegant Wedding Magazine

Bookmark and share

Issue Date: December 2010


1930


Erick Trickey
trickey@clevelandmagazine.com
Step lively! Keep to the right! Just days before Christmas 80 years ago, Euclid Avenue’s slippery, snowy sidewalks were clogged with shoppers as a city of 900,000 converged on downtown’s department stores. Customers barely squeezed through the doors of F. W. Woolworth’s at Euclid Avenue and East Fourth Street, a building that houses the House of Blues and the Bodies exhibit today. Toys cluttered a storefront window at the current site of the Corner Alley. Although the Great Depression was a year old, gift buyers still thronged the newly opened Terminal Tower, the post office and stores. What was on shoppers’ gift lists? The May Co. advertised three-piece women’s pajama ensembles for $5.95 and a bird cage and stand for $4.95, while the Higbee Co. across Ontario Street sold chiffon stockings for $2.95 and eight-button French suede gloves for $6.

Comments. All comments must be approved by our editorial staff.
 
Choose an identity
Other Anonymous
 
Name 
Website 
All of these fields are optional.
CAPTCHA Validation
Retype the code from the picture
CAPTCHA Code Image
Speak the code Change the code
 


Home | Subscribe | Archives | Advertise | Newsstands | Contact Us | Jobs | Legal
© Cleveland Magazine 2014 | P: (216) 771-2833 | F: (216) 781-6318 | 1422 Euclid Ave. Suite 730 Cleveland, Ohio 44115
This site is a member of the City & Regional Magazine Association