Where to Buy: Downtown Your guide to Greater Cleveland’s art districts and more than 75 galleries When canvassing for art, knowing where to go is half the challenge. To aid in your quest, we visited galleries, talked to collectors, gallery owners and artists, and compiled listings of Greater Cleveland’s best galleries with an emphasis on fine art. W Emily Rueb
Click the "Download Media" button at the end of this article to view an interactive map of the Downtown galleries.
1. Artefino Art Gallery Café 1900 Superior Ave. (216) 830-1400 Mon-Fri 7 a.m. - 7 p.m., Sat 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. www.artefinogallery.com Owned by Hector Vega, this spanking-new cafe on the ground floor of the Tower Press Building showcases art by Vega, Michael Greenwald, David Haberman and jewelry artists Janice Anter and Lori Leavitt, among others.
2. ArtMetro 530 Euclid Ave., Suite 43 ARTcade (216) 696-1942 Tue-Fri noon - 5 p.m., Sat noon - 4 p.m. Fine and functional art by emerging or established artists from northern Ohio. Showcases artists such as nature artist Susie Frazier Mueller and glassblower Brian Bencheck.
3. The Bonfoey Gallery 1710 Euclid Ave. (216) 621-0178 Mon-Thu 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Fri 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sat 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. www.bonfoey.com Established as a frame shop in 1893, Bonfoey represents many of the city's most established artists, including Laurence Channing, Douglas Lucak, Patrick Kelly, Chris Pekoc and John Pearson, as well as younger artists such as Daniel Dove, Sarah McKenzie and Eric Neff.
4. Cleveland State University Art Gallery 2307 Chester Ave. (216) 687-2103 Mon-Fri 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Sat noon - 4 p.m. www.csuohio.edu/art/gallery/ This beautiful exhibit space hosts shows affiliated with Cleveland State University students and faculty as well as occasional exhibitions featuring national and international artists.
5. Contessa Gallery 1501 Euclid Ave., Suite 112 Playhouse Square Center (216) 382-7800 Open during theater events www.contessagallery.com Specializing in Old and Modern Masters and other top-tier, museum-quality works by the most prominent American and international artists.
6. Griffon Gallery 1370 W. Ninth St. (216) 621-1370 Tue, Wed and Fri 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Thu 10 a.m. - 8 p.m., Sat noon - 5 p.m. A Warehouse District art gallery located in the Bingham Building that features whimsical accent pieces and unique gifts, along with paintings, ceramics and pottery.
7. The EDGE Art Gallery Cleveland State University 1844 Euclid Ave. (216) 241-7120 email@example.com Mon-Thu 11 a.m. - 6 p.m., Fri 11 a.m. - 7 p.m., Sat 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. www.csuohio.edu/edge Set in the Lutheran Ministry Student Headquarters at CSU, this warm, inviting space holds monthly exhibitions for regional, emerging artists, including many artists of faith. Paintings, photos, sculpture, mixed media and prints in a relaxed environment.
8. Elevation Art 1240 Huron Road, 5th Floor (216) 430-2751 firstname.lastname@example.org Wed-Thu noon - 5 p.m. www.elevationart.com Cutting-edge fine art by Achille Pace, Bruno Aller, Dennis Long, Robert Jugens and other works chosen by Guy Vincent. Also provides custom artwork for commercial and residential environments. Will be a contender on the scene.
9. Gallery Ü Cleveland 530 Euclid Ave. ARTcade (216) 323-0085 Fri and Sat noon - 4 p.m. www.webspawner.com/users/patsykline Patsy Kline’s gallery features contemporary artists (emerging and midcareer) of diverse backgrounds with a Cleveland connection. Fine art is offered for purchase or rental to both private and commercial buyers.
10. Gallery M Loftworks Building, 1667 E. 40th St., Suite 3B (216) 773-8277 Mon, Wed and Fri 6 - 9 p.m., Sat and Sun 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Cleveland’s only live-work gallery devoted to metals. Three shows annually feature mostly art jewelry and metalwork. Jewelry-making classes in the evening at Tap Studios.
11. MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) Cleveland 8501 Carnegie Ave. (216) 421-8671 Tue-Sun 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. www.contemporaryart.org A museum in name, MOCA also hosts local artists for The Sky Lounge exhibitions in its Mezzanine Gallery.
12. SHAHEEN modern and contemporary art 740 W. Superior Ave., Suite 101 (216) 830-8888 email@example.com Tue-Fri 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 2 - 5 p.m., Sat noon - 4 p.m. An important fixture for art in Cleveland, the gallery unveils quality modern and contemporary visual works. They scour for emerging Cleveland artists and attract international talent.
13. Thrive - an Artspace The Galleria 1301 E. Ninth St., 2nd Floor (216) 479-0303 Tue-Fri 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. www.galleriaaterieview.com/Thrive.htm With natural light and event-driven fun, Thrive uses its space to put together worthy shows featuring Northeast Ohio artists. Interestingly, Artspace doubles as a yoga studio and features tango nights and poetry readings. Certainly a place to watch.
14. Zygote Press Gallery 7209 St. Clair Ave. (216) 881-4000 Thu 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.; Sat and Sun noon - 4 p.m. www.zygotepress.com A nonprofit, artist-run printmaking organization of many hats, the gallery displays fine art, print-related works, including works on paper, etchings, woodcuts and photo arts. Bimonthly, open-studio exhibit openings. Third Wednesday lecture series. Now showing Foreign Affairs, results from its German exchange program.