This Month's MagazineDining and SpiritsArts and EntertainmentTravel and LeisureHome and Real EstateHealth and WellnessShopping & FashionEvents and PicsElegant Wedding Magazine

Bookmark and share

Issue Date: March 2011


1897


Erick Trickey
trickey@clevelandmagazine.com

It was the start of one heck of a road trip. What had its beginnings at East 45th Street and Payne Avenue has since grown into an American obsession. Alexander Winton, the mustachioed man with his hand on the tiller (the steering wheel hadn't been invented yet), and his partners Thomas Henderson and George H. Brown, seated next to him, had just debuted their second gasoline-powered motor carriage. Tom L. Johnson, facing backward on the far right, was a friend of Winton's from the Cleveland Wheel Club, a bicycling group, and went on to become the mayor of Cleveland.

On July 28, 1897, Winton and his gas-fueled buggy set out for New York City on a test drive. They covered 800 miles, often detouring for better roads, and arrived 11 days later. In early 1898, Winton advertised his invention in Scientific American. "Dispense with a horse," the ad exhorted, "and save the expense, care and anxiety of keeping it." That April, Winton became the first American to sell a standard-made, gasoline-powered car: a two-person model with a top speed of 20 mph, for $1,000.

In October 1901, Winton lost a car race in Grosse Pointe, Mich., to little-known mechanic Henry Ford. Eventually, pricey Wintons couldn't compete with Ford's cheap Model Ts. Winton made his last car in 1924 and sold his engine company to General Motors in 1930.


Comments. All comments must be approved by our editorial staff.
 
Choose an identity
Other Anonymous
 
Name 
Website 
All of these fields are optional.
CAPTCHA Validation
Retype the code from the picture
CAPTCHA Code Image
Speak the code Change the code
 


Home | Subscribe | Archives | Advertise | Newsstands | Contact Us | Jobs | Legal
© Cleveland Magazine 2014 | P: (216) 771-2833 | F: (216) 781-6318 | 1422 Euclid Ave. Suite 730 Cleveland, Ohio 44115
This site is a member of the City & Regional Magazine Association