This Month's MagazineDining and SpiritsArts and EntertainmentTravel and LeisureHome and Real EstateHealth and WellnessShopping & FashionEvents and PicsElegant Wedding Magazine

Bookmark and share

Issue Date: October 2010 Issue


1897

Landmark moments from our past.
Erick Trickey
trickey@clevelandmagazine.com

An old Cleveland disappears and a new one surges forward as an electric streetcar heads east along Euclid Avenue. In the background, horse-drawn carriages are barely visible below the white awnings.

"Plodding horses with their tinkling bells were disappearing from streetcar lines as electricity replaced them," William Ganson Rose wrote of the 1890s in Cleveland: The Making of a City. Two companies operated two dozen lines and 214 miles of electric track by 1897.

A downtown we can recognize was also taking shape. Note the tall windows of The Arcade, built in 1890; the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, from 1894, marking Public Square; and signs for Halle's, founded in 1891. The white-hatted gentleman stepping toward the trolley may be headed as far as Cleveland Heights (the sign above the driver's window reads "Euclid Heights"); a track scaling Cedar Hill opened that year.

Electric streetcars ran on Euclid Avenue from 1889 until 1952, two years before they disappeared from Cleveland entirely. The RTA's E-Line trolley buses pay homage to them on Euclid today.


Comments. All comments must be approved by our editorial staff.
 
Choose an identity
Other Anonymous
 
Name 
Website 
All of these fields are optional.
CAPTCHA Validation
Retype the code from the picture
CAPTCHA Code Image
Speak the code Change the code
 


Home | Subscribe | Archives | Advertise | Newsstands | Contact Us | Jobs | Legal
© Cleveland Magazine 2014 | P: (216) 771-2833 | F: (216) 781-6318 | 1422 Euclid Ave. Suite 730 Cleveland, Ohio 44115
This site is a member of the City & Regional Magazine Association